Our Lady of Mount Carmel High School was established in 1959. The high school was opened to serve the students of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish as well as the other local parishes, with a college preparatory curriculum. Today Our Lady of Mount Carmel continues its college preparatory tradition while also enrolling students from Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Harford counties.
10 Facts You Need to Know about Mt. Carmel High School
- The only Catholic, co-educational high school in Baltimore County and has a student population of approximately 200.
- The average class size is 16 students.
- Over the past 5 years, 95% of graduates continued their education.
- Graduates in the past two years received $5 million in scholarships and grants.
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School offers a quality education on a personal level to children from Pre-K through grade 12.
- Students are offered Advanced Placement and College Courses the junior and senior year for no additional tuition cost. These courses offer college credit to our students. In the past an individual student has received as many as 17 college credits.
- The school offers 13 athletic teams and participates in two very competitive interscholastic private school leagues. MIAA (men) and IAAM (women). In the Fall, 2010, Mt. Carmel will added FOOTBALL to their list of athletic teams.
- Mt. Carmel recently added a Health Careers Fast Track that places students in special classes in Science and Latin and internships in the community to prepare students for careers in health care.
- All students participate in servicing learning projects during the school year. These projects teach students the importance of service to others while fulfilling the service hours required for graduation. A recent graduate accumulated over 300 hours of service during her career at Mt. Carmel.
- The STAR program is a program offered to students who may have mild learning differences or require additional support in the areas of Math and Reading. There is no additional cost to families for this program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many students are in the high school? 230
- What is the average class size? 16
- How many teachers do you have? 25
- How many students from the class of 2009 went to college? 92% are continuing their education; 8% went on to employment or the armed forces
- How much did the class of 2009 receive in scholarships? Over $1 million - more information on college placement
- What is the average SAT score? 1435